Thursday, April 2, 2009

Our April Fool's Tradition


I am sure lots of people are into practical jokes for April Fools, I enjoy hearing all the gags especially the ones that Zack and his students pull on each other! Every year on April 1st, I make Fake Cake for my young family and every year they are surprised by it. William's response was wonderful this year! Once they all have it figured out I will probably continue it just because it is good and fun. I found the recipe several years ago in a magazine but I forgot which one so thank you to whomever created this great idea. Here is the recipe for anyone who wants to try this out on their family (it doesn't have to be April Fools to be worth it!)

3/4 lbs ground sirloin
1 egg
1/3 cup season bread crumbs
1/4 cup milk
1 Tbsp ketchup
1 tsp dried minced onion
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup mashed potatoes
carrot minced

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 6 muffin tines with cupcake liners. In a bowl, mix together ground sirloin, egg, bread crumbs, milk, ketchup, onion, and Worcestershire sauce. Divide into cupcake liners. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes while you make mashed potatoes. Place potatoes in a resealable plastic bag with a star tip, and pipe a swirl of potatoes on each "cupcake." Sprinkle with finely minced carrots. Makes 6 servings.

3 comments:

Tim, Steph and Jaerick said...

That picture of Matthew Crying is so sweet. And that "cupcake" sounds discusting! I'll tell you what tim thinks I think i'll cook come desert tonight! ha! Why am I still pregnant!? Help! Maybe these "cupcakes" will help!

Anonymous said...

thanks! I love it! Hailey is so excited to see joshy!

Britt said...

I love the cupcake dinner idea. My kids HATE meat and potoatoes but I think I will try it sometime anyway! Matthew is so precious. I'm so glad you keep posting pics of him because babies change SO fast. Emmit is in the Kindergarten soccer group too. It's so funny sometimes. I LOVE the finished doll house. It looks great with the barbies sitting in it and everything!